Shutterfly.com

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Black Bean Burgers, Guacamole, and Mango Sauce .... YUMMY!,

Do you watch Cupcake Wars on the Food Network? It's fun! A few episodes back, there was a girl Chloe Coscarelli. She baked Vegan Cupcakes. huh? I knew she wouldn't make it past the first round. But she did and she won, the entire War! Then I saw her again on a show called something like the New Vegetarian, or ... I can't remember. I had to look this girl up. She has a blog with a few tempting recipes. Then, I saw these and couldn't wait to try them! Tonight I finally did.

I did alter the recipe a bit. And I hate when people review recipes on recipe sites. They give it a terrible rating and complain about how they much didn't like it, but then list all the changes they made and the recipe has become completely different. It irks me. But ... in my defense, I only made a few changes and darn it! This is MY blog, not a review site and I'm not giving it a bad rating. :)

here you can find her recipe, Mexicali Sliders, and my few alterations here:

I used a red onion instead of yellow because I like the flavor of them raw and I needed it for the guacamole. Because I can eat them raw, I wouldn't have to cook them in the oil, thus cutting out some fat.

I also replaced the 1/2c breadcrumbs and 1/2 cornmeal with 1c oats. I'm trying to stay away from too much bread.

1c of oats was too much so I ended up using another can of beans and I still had trouble keeping the patties from falling apart. So I need to mess with the recipe a little more. I think I just need to use less oats, but they were so good. I'm sure her recipe is fabulous.

Rather than frying them in oil, I took a paper towel and wiped a cast iron pan with olive oil, cutting out more fat.

The mangoes, I didn't change a thing.
The guacamole, I used the Betty Crocker recipe because I just like that one so much, without the peppers, but extra cilantro and lime juice.

I found these delicious honey wheat rolls from The Baker. They were great.

Recipes like this make becoming a vegetarian delicious! What are your favorite vegetarian dishes?

No comments: