Shutterfly.com

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Picky

My kids are picky eaters. Apani always tells me simply, she's just
not hungry. A typical day consists of mostly fruits and crackers
(goldfish, pretzels...)

We always start with a
Breakfast bar, sometimes kaity will also have a bowl of cheerios or some waffles.

After that, anything goes
Apple slices
Cheese stick, maybe
Nectarine, some days
Berries either black, raspberries, or strawberries
Banana, if we have
Yogurt
Maybe a sandwich: pb&j, ham, or turkey
Trader Joes Tempurah Chicken
Eggs
Popcorn

That doesn't seem like very much to me. These past two weeks have been
particularly bad so I have set some goals for myself:

Preparing more meals.
Find a cookbook that suits my family's needs: quick (Maddy is needy),
kid friendly (get these girls involved) and healthy.
Groceries.
Eliminate the snacks: make those kids hungry!!
Purchase highchair.
Turn off the tv and sit as a family together at the table.
Make more smoothies: easy way to sneak in veggies and use up the tart fruits.
Stress less.

A few weeks ago, I was preparing every meal but the girls were not
feeling it. The trash can was fed better than the kids. Thus I gave
up. If they did eat, they were finished before I could get to the
table! I'm more determined this time and think with proper planning I
can get it done. I just need the motivation. Thinking a good
cookbook will do just the trick!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Getting little kids to eat is hard! I wonder if you involved the girls with your goals if that would help at all. Give them guidelines about what a well-rounded meal is and then let them help you plan a menu, shop for it, and then help you prepare it. Perhaps if they "owned" a part of the meal prep process, they'd be more excited about the eating part of it, too.

I think that your goals to eat meals together without the tv are really good. I imagine that separating the idea behind snacking and that of eating dinner as a family would help them to distinguish the difference better. Things won't change overnight, but with patience they'll see, and probably like, the difference.

Good luck sticking with your goals!

KRISTIN said...

With Pierson, if he snacks a lot, he won't eat structured meals. I have cut out his snacks after lunch...it seems to work. Good luck. I really dislike cooking for just Pierson and I...it's always just easier to make dinner when there's an adult to share it with. (Or at least someone you don't have to coerce to eat it).