Shutterfly.com

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

So we ended up going to DC for the fourth. We were supposed to take the bus, but at the last minute, we drove....thankfully! Rest stops were vital! We weren't sure how fast it would become crowded, so we immediately found a spot on the lawn and had a little picnic and waited...and W A I T E D ....

Afterward, I realized, that trips like this are not intended for little bladders. I feel like my entire trip was spent taking someone to the restroom. I would take one to the bathroom, return, the other would have to go. Why didn't I bring both of them, you may be asking yourself. We tried that, several times in fact. But children, or at least my children, REALLY do not have to use the potty unless they have to go. And peeing and pooping never happen together. So I stopped and took whoever it was doing the asking because bringing both of them through the crowds was too exhausting, besides Maddy needed a playmate.

At the time I was frustrated, however in retrospect, it was probably easier. It gave the kids plenty of distractions. To walk 4 or so blocks to the bathrooms in the hotel, took about 30-45 minutes. And it gave me a huge break from Maddy. She stayed with El every time I left. I was dreading having to occupy her, but I didn't really have to.

Apani didn't really understand what was gonna happen, I don't think Kaity knew what fireworks were either. The entire way up they were talking about Trevor's father, who is a firefighter. I desperately tried to explain that that was something completely different but as the fireworks started, Apani asked, "But where's Trevor's dad?" Maddy was a little frightened and confused. She wasn't sure if she should be scared...It was loud, but so pretty! Ultimately, it was fun, the girls had a blast. "This was a fun trip," Apani said as we left. We did a little sightseeing. The highlight of the trip for me, was standing in front of the White House. I asked the girls if they could tell me who the president was. Kaity knew but it's not something we really talk about so she forgot which became quite clear as she proudly answered, "Jesus Christ!"

And I'm exhausted!

5 comments:

vdg family said...

How sweet. I bet your girls just wanted some one on one time--besides relief.

family said...

Anything with little kids is exhausting!!!! No pictures??? I love Kaity's comment... too cute!

Kelly said...

Amy, that wold involve downloading the pics...I'm lucky to get a blog up! lol...I will post some soon, though I don't have very many...I was always in route to el bano! And El was too busy with the other two...and still he thinks I don't work!!

KRISTIN said...

Aside from the potty breaks, it sounds like you and the girls had fun!

Emily said...

I'm still laughing over our "president." We all wish, right?