Shutterfly.com

Friday, March 4, 2011

Science Fair

I need help! I've never had to do a science project. Not just any project, she needs to test the scientific method...IN FIRST GRADE!! Seriously? They haven't even learned that yet. So, no solar systems, volcanoes, or what not.

After hours of searching the internet, I found something that she wanted to do. The Question: Do snails move faster on soil or concrete? So I called the 2 pet stores near us...near being 60+ minutes away, without traffic, though there isn't ever traffic, just horse trailers or tractors carrying bushels of hay. You don't want to get stuck behind one of those. Anyway who knew that terrestrial snails are not available at the pet store this time of year??? Only aquatic. Having no knowledge of snails, other than don't put salt on them, I had to ask, "I probably wouldn't be able to use those, would I?"

Back to square one. I want to think of something that she can do on her own where I merely supervise and help out with her presentation AND it must be fun so that she's excited to do it. I think I finally came up with something. The Question: Can a plant survive with juice instead of water? (I know it's not so eloquent, I need to reword it)

We are going to plant a seed in a cup to see if we can get it to sprout and also buy a small potted plant.

Here is where I need YOUR help. Do we need to have a constant? Is that the correct word? Do we need to also try to grow a plant with water? Should we purchase 2 potted plants and water one? I just don't know! I wish there was a site like starfall for ALL subjects!! Is there one and I not know about it?

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yes, you do need a constant (though I'm not sure either if that's the right word...). Buy 2 plants -- feed one water and the other juice (stick to only one kind of juice, unless you want to test out if different juices help/hurt. If you do that, buy an additional plant for each type of juice you try). Have her observe the plant maybe twice a day -- once right after she waters it, say, in the morning, and then a second time in the evening, and then make notes (or draw pictures, since this is first grade) of what the plant looks like and how it's reacting to the different fluids. I don't know the time span for this project, but with plants you'd probably need at least 2 weeks for an already sprouted plant to see a noticeable difference, I'd think, and much longer if you start from seeds. In fact, it would probably be better to start with plant starters, since there are so many variables that could determine whether the seeds would actually sprout or not. Don't forget to make your hypothesis, which is the answer to your question that you think will result through the experiment. The hypothesis might be right, it might be wrong. You don't lose either way, so long as you follow the scientific method throughout the experiment.

This reminds me of the science fair projects my siblings did. One of my brothers tested tooth decay -- he took 3 of his old baby teeth (Mom had saved them) and put one in a glass of water, one in a glass of milk, and one in a glass of Coke and then observed to see what happened. One of my sister did something similar to test laundry detergents. She dirtied a few pairs of socks as equally well as she could (I think she used mud), then washed each one in a different laundry detergent. I think for her constant she washed one in just water. But anyway, my mom REALLY loved that experiment. It solidified the fact that the laundry detergent she'd been always using (Tide) was in fact the best of those tested.

Okay, I'm rambling. Science projects are fun. :) So have fun!

Kelly said...

Wow, perfect, nice and fast! Thanks Lindsay!

I'm pretty sure it's constant or is it variable? I'm looking it up now!

Her hypothesis is Yes, then No. She hasn't officially decided yet! We have til the end of April so we're gonna pick up the plants/seed this weekend.

I think we're going to just stick with apple juice, using other juices may get too complicated for her. I also was thinking about testing different species, but that just be for my own curiosity. :)

I'm excited...science has always been my favorite subject.

vdg family said...

I love that you love this! I agree with Lindsay--these are great ideas that I think I may have to use for my kid's science fair.

GR82BAMOM said...

I read somewhere a while back that if you boil water in a microwave, let it cool, and then water your plant with that water, the plant won't grow much. It just kind of stays dwarfed. The microwave kills all the nutrients in the water. That would be an interesting project to test out on two plants (one of course watered with normal water from the tap or better yet, purified water). No doubt the microwave kills all the nutrients in your food if you warm it up or cook it in a microwave. Personally, I haven't owned one for many years and I truly don't miss it in the least.