Shutterfly.com

Monday, November 23, 2009

School



I'm so glad we chose the school we did. We saw the Pre-K 3 class and knew Apani was too advanced. There was no way I was going to put her in. This was our last hope. NYC's cutoff is til the end of the year, but the rest of NY is December 1. I called countless schools before we moved, none of which were "allowed", I think willing to advance her. Apparently 29 days are a big difference when she'll be older and can cause many problems!! That's what we were told. Anyway, we saw the Pre-K 4 and asked if there was anyway we could put her in there instead. The principle paused, looked at me and asked, "She's already in Pre-K?" She then said, YES!!! I can't tell you how many schools I called trying to get Apani into Pre-K and not Nursery school. I had finally found one! I don't think I could have picked a better school.



They started school about 3 weeks ago now. It was hard on both of them. But Kaity ended up having a great day and when she walked into school the following day, all the little girls excitedly yelled, "Kaitlyn!" We LOVE this school. Everyone there is so welcoming and friendly. The entire school was excited to meet my two girls, they were the "talk around town". We were given a welcome basket full of cookies, a gift card to a local restaurant, and pamphlets about the surrounding towns and local events.



I was a little weary about bringing them to a Parochial school, but I couldn't be happier. I would rather them not have to memorize and recite prayers, but I like that they talk about God and Jesus daily. And I like that they say the Pledge of Allegience. Unlike our president, I'm PROUD to be an American, and my kids will be too!! It hadn't occured to me til I saw a painting in the foyer, so I asked Kaity about the pledge and she was clueless! I couldn't believe that they didn't do it at her public school in Brooklyn.



Kaitlyn took the bus last week for the first time. We ended up dropping her off in the morning because she was too scared. Thus, I was nervous about her coming home on it. I afraid the bus would pull up and she would be red from crying, but the bus arrived (10 minutes late) and she was happy. She wants to take it everyday!



The school is in Millbrook and that town is so charming. I love all the old, small homes, like this one.



And look at this: We pass it on the way to bring the girls to school. Isn't it awesome? I have no idea what it is, yet, but a sign boasts, "STRICTLY PRIVATE!" Behind the stone walls you can see a beautfiul lake and waterfalls. I want in!



I have to upload the pic of the DMV. It's so cute! Seriously, CUTE! It's only open 3 days a week, so I thought, I may be there a little while, but I got my permit today and was in and out in 30 minutes! Unbelievable. There is only 1 line and the same woman and desk you begin at is the same one you end at! So glad I didn't do it before we left!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Oh yay yay yay!!! What a huge relief it must be to have them in a school you all love.

And small towns really are fantastic when it comes to things like the DMV. The one in Muncie, Indiana was fantastic -- in and out every time.