Shutterfly.com

Thursday, June 4, 2009

thanks for good health!

My kids, well, Kaity and Maddy, get sick all the time, but THANKFULLY, they are healthy.

Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had as a mother. Maddy was so sick. Our pedi recommended that we go to the ER because she wasn't eating/drinking, when she tried she would vomit. Her fever was at105.7 and I was constantly holding her so she was sweating profusely. That combination plus, she hadn't had many wet diapers caused our Dr to worry that she may become dehydrated.

Three people were needed to hold Madelyn down so we could draw blood, take urine samples, and get a swab to test for influenza. She screamed and looked at me with tear filled eyes. All I could do was rub her curls, which truly offered no comfort at all. She would babble between crying, trying so hard to articulate her disapproval. Such a sad sight. There came a point to where Maddy would cry a the mere sound of the doctor's voice, even from across the hall. It was heartbreaking. I don't know how parents do it.

Then, I was told she would need an IV. I was horrified at the thought of what that scene would be. I tried so many times to nurse her and she would just throw it all up. She threw up in the doctor's office...I was sitting in the ER with vomit soaked clothes. But if I could nurse her now, maybe we could avoid it. I hesitated, thinking it would be in vane, but tried nonetheless and thankfully, she drank up.

By now, the Motrin had kicked in and her fever was down to 100.1. We received all the test results, which were normal! Just a fever!? Doctor's didn't seem to worry too much. And we were finally sent home. I'm so glad she's ok.

The experience just made me so grateful for having healthy children. I can't imagine what some parents must go through to have to do this regularly. I'm not strong enough. There were so many times when I just wanted to stop them, thinking it wasn't worth it. I wanted to grab her up into my arms, hold her to my chest, and assure her everything would be ok. But I couldn't. Hopefully, we won't have to do it again.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh my, Kelly! Sounds like a whirlwind! I'm glad that it didn't turn out to be anything serious. It really is the pits when your kids are sick. It wears on you mentally and physically.

RJ said...

oh geez Kelly. I'm finally getting around to commenting on this post, you poor thing, i'm right there with you on all that. I have some ideas for how to get sick-o babies hydrated, but I'm so exhausted and just want to TALK to you instead! Call me if you can and I'll share my secrets and hope they help you as much as they did me!!!! Much much love, Rachel

family said...

OMG Kelly! Im SOOOO GLAD she is okay! That must have been sooooo scary! WE truly take our blessings for granted sometimes don't we? Until something like that happens! Im so glad she is okay!!! I hope you are finally getting some rest! Being a mom is so wonderful and sooo hard all at the same time! I love ya girl!