Shutterfly.com

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Story Time in Amenia

We braved the cold today and headed to our library. Our town doesn't have much, but it does have a library and most importantly it's close enough to walk to, about a 12 minute walk. Not bad. However, Apani has gotten in the habit of driving everywhere so I heard a lot about her tired legs. Only 3 months ago she could walk 2+ miles, happily.

Driving by the library last week, I noticed a sign on the lawn, Story Time is Tuesdays, 10-11:30, (long, right?). Apani has Tuesdays off, good planning on my part! So, all week we've been anticipating this trip, weather was not going to get in our way, though I did want to turn back around as soon as we left.

It was fun! They had different tables set up with play-doh, arts and crafts (we made lambs), and a blanket laid out with all sorts of toys. After play time, we had a snack, fresh baked banana bread and juice boxes! Then we read a story and sang a song with instruments.

Apani was timid, but I'm excited. It turns out Thursdays, Apani's other day off, is the Preschool story time! I've been dying to get out of the house to meet people and do things, I'm so glad this is close! And free things are always a plus! So until the weather gets warmer, we have a place to go when Apani is home and I'm going insane with the noise and trying to entertain her and the baby. The walk back is a killer though. It's all uphill and a steep incline. I'm so out of shape, I was wheezing by the time we got home. Now I know I"ll lose that baby weight!

I met some really nice moms. Several of them come from CT. It looks like there isn't much in the area so I'm glad of all the local libraries, mine is the one with a story time. I found out that the Audubon isn't far, just past the CT border, not even 20 mins from us and has tons of free things to do.

It's still not Brooklyn, I miss it terribly. The wide range of things to do and my wonderful friends will never compare to life here. But I'm embracing it. As I get out, I learn more. Finding a local young mom's group is definitely making me more optimistic.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love storytime at the library. I take the boys every week. I'm glad you've found something similar. Keep exploring your new home and surrounding. It will only get better as you discover new things!

vdg family said...

Good job Kelly! Story time will be wonderful! We miss you too!

GR82BAMOM said...

I'm happy that you like story time over there. Once Spring and Summer come along you will be saying, "Brooklyn?? Fugetabouit!"