Shutterfly.com

Thursday, June 9, 2011

What a storm!

And it couldn't have happened at a worse time.

I noticed Maddy falling asleep before 11. Her naps, when she takes them are much later, usually around 2. So I went over to her and she was burning up. I took her temp, it was 103.4! Man this child and her high fevers!! I gave her several cups with tylenol, all wasted. She was NOT in the mood to drink. She just wanted to lie down, watch tv, and sleep.

We made an appt and saw the dr who saw nothing wrong, (no infections), assuming it's a virus, she said just give her plenty of fluids and tylenol. ... easier said than done. I planned to go to the pharmacy and pick up some tylenol suppositories because there was no way she would take the medicine and she wasn't drinking her juice.

As I'm walking out the door of the office, the power went out. There were some crazy winds. The whole town lost power. Have I mentioned how much I hate it here sometimes?? So I couldn't run to the pharmacy, but I knew I had one suppository left at home so I wasn't too worried. Yea, well, it was expired.

So here we were, sitting in the dark, with a high fever, no A/C and oh yeah, temps outside above 90 degrees! How in the world was I going to bring her fever down? I thought my only way was to force tylenol with a syringe. She spit what she could out and then vomitted all over the floor. I was devestated. My poor baby didn't drink more that a few ounces all day and there it is sitting in front of us on the floor. What was I going to do now? Am I just putting off a trip to the ER? Really? Again? Can we PLEASE just go a week orTWO without a trip to the Dr/ER?

I tried giving her salty things to encourage drinks. It didn't really help. She took a few sips. I decided to give her a bath, but when I went to get her, she was asleep again.

Three hours later, the power returned. My mood lifted. She's sleeping soundly in a nice cold room. I'm waiting for her to wake up for some juice. I hope she wakes up feeling better.

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a nightmare! I don't know how you keep your cool in a situation like that. I would have been a wreck. Maybe you were. These heat waves are. the. worst. Please let us know how Maddie's doing!

Kelly said...

I didn't Emily. I'm so glad it's over. She was a little better the next day and back to her happy little temper tantrum throwing self the following. Thanks for asking!!